Site icon Welcome to St. James Lutheran Church!

About St. James

St. James Lutheran Church

5660 Trabue Road, Columbus, OH 43228 – 614-878-5158

Sharing the Word of God

Vision Statement

Sharing the Word of God – welcoming all to experience God’s love and to live, serve, rejoice, and grow together as God’s people.

Value Statements

We live in the love of God. We grow in His word. We serve others and share our gifts. We rejoice, give thanks, and praise Him.

Living our lives under the cross. Loving God. Growing in Faith. Serving our neighbors. Rejoicing and giving Him praise.

Belief and Practice

With the universal Christian Church, the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod teaches and responds to the love of the Triune God: the Father, creator of all that exists; Jesus Christ, the Son, who became human to suffer and die for the sins of all human beings and to rise to life again in the ultimate victory over death and Satan; and the Holy Spirit, who creates faith through God’s Word and Sacraments. The three persons of the Trinity are coequal and coeternal, one God.

Church History

St. James Lutheran Church was organized on Trinity Sunday in 1847 by nine German immigrant families who chose the name, “St. Jakobi Geminde”, (St. James Congregation). The Second Article of the congregation’s first constitution, entitled “Sprache” (Language), reads “In unsere Kirche soll nur allein duetsch gepredict werden” (In our congregation, only German alone shall be preached).

For its first fifty years, the congregation did hold services only in German and served German-speaking immigrants and their German-speaking descendants, but by the 1890’s the need for English services was already realized. The congregation began to offer monthly English services for the grandchildren of the founding families who were no longer so conversant in the German language. The last regular German service was held in 1943.

The congregation’s first church was a log structure built by the members and dedicated on the Tenth Sunday of Trinity in 1848. The foundation stones can still be seen in the garden surrounding our church sign on the northwest corner of our cemetery.  Our current church building was dedicated in 1872.

St. James has grown over the years and today finds its ministry serving the growing suburbs that now surround this formerly rural congregation. The Brats and Crafts Festival has been an annual tradition for over 30 years, celebrating the congregation’s German heritage. The German worship service has become a desired part of this celebration that is attended by many German-speaking people in the Columbus area, as well as a few others who enjoy honoring our founding families by singing a few German hymns.

Contact Us

  • Church Office:
    • 614-878-5158
  • Steve Dodson, Council President:


  • Cash/Check – In person or mail
  • Bank Account – Use your bank’s bill program
  • Venmo – @St-James-Lutheran-Church
  • – St. James Lutheran Church

Exit mobile version